Friday, September 2, 2011

Camping fun? Or not so much?

So first off, I want to thank everyone who read my blog yesterday and responded with encouraging words. You have no idea what strength it gives me to hear that and how much better everyone made me feel. Thank you!  The decision is still in the air, but I am being strong and thinking it through the best I can!

Ahh! The great outdoors! Fresh air, mother nature, relaxation, heat, mosquito's, no hot showers, the minimum of modern technology. So is this really fun or over rated?  Well lets think about it..... When I was younger (late teens early twenties) camping with friends meant freedom. Freedom from parents from the over protective all seeing eyes. We used to load up on liquor and only bring enough to eat, drink and have fun! Float trips,  where we could let loose and be as silly and as daring as we wanted. Those were good times! Beer bongs, jello shots and loud music. Now that some of us have gotten older and settled down with families, camping brings on a new meaning.  So we can still enjoy mother nature and relaxing by the campfire but beer bongs,jello shots... no way! With the kids comes responsibility. So instead there is filthy dirty kids tracking dirt in the camper, letting bugs in because they come in and out of the door a million times and since I'm not drunk, the mosquito's are a lot more noticeable!  But then there are the times when it is fun to tell scary stories and see how the kids react or making s'mores with the kids by the campfire. I love watching them ride  their bikes and just be kids. No cares in the world.  I guess it is a different kind of camping, but not necessarily a bad one.   Maybe if it rains I can get a mud fight going. yeah!  that sounds like a fun time to me! If we are going to camp, lets do it right! Dirt, mud and bugs!  Bug eating contest?  No, I would have to be really drunk for that.  I guess a good games of ladder jacks or Phase 10!  One way or another I WILL have fun!

1 comment:

  1. I can't think of any pro's for camping unless it's under 80 degrees. Then I could probably think of a few but when it's over 80 degrees I am one HUGE crab ass. I have no fun sitting in the dirt around a camp fire with sweat rolling down my back.

    ReplyDelete