Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Like Mother, Like Daughter

When we were little kids, there was a time that each one of us hoped and wanted to be like our parents. Every little boy couldn't wait to grow up and be like his dad. They wanted to go hunting or fishing and just hang with their dads. Every little girl wanted to grow up and be like their mom. Wear pretty clothes and jewelry like their moms did and get their hair and nails done.  Then as we got older, our wishes might have slightly changed. During the teenage years being like our parents may not have seemed like coolest thing anymore. We may have even labeled them as "lame" or "dorks". We swore we would NEVER be like them. We would always be cool as parents when we were in that role. Time went on and we grew up. Some of us have even had our own kids and now being like our may may be exactly what we strive for.
I know that for me, once I became a mom and learned what it was like to put some one's needs before my own, I looked to my mom for help and answers. I wanted to give my kids the same love, support and encouragement that she gave me. I knew that as a child, teenager and an adult, my mom has always been my biggest supporter. Don't get me wrong...when I have been wrong, she has not hesitated to tell me so. She has given me that "hard love" before, but I understand why and I appreciate it. That is what I strive to be as a mother.  My mom is also one of the kindest persons I know of. She would do anything for anyone including animals. She has helped so many stray dogs and hurt animals that she has found. She has such a big heart. That is something that she taught me and I am so happy that I have followed in her footsteps in those areas. Though there are many ways I want to be like my mom, I have to be truthful that there are some I do not.  Here goes  (Mom, don't kill me! ).
I have to say that my mom is one of the slowest drivers!  It is painful to drive with her. She is so nervous about everything and everyone around her that she drives way under the speed limit all the time! My grandma is too so I am hoping that isn't what I am going to be like in another 20 years.
My mom is also a hoarder. Anything that has the smallest amount of sentimental value, she keeps. I mean anything!  There have even been presents that people have given her that she doesn't want to open because they are too special and she wants to keep them just the way they are. (not kidding!)  I am starting to get a little worried because I find that I am starting to do some of the same things. Not to that extreme, but my keepsake box has turned into tubs!
Another things my mom likes to do is sing. She has a beautiful voice and used to sing when she was younger, but now she likes to sing obnoxious songs and things just to be silly. It's funny but not really at 6:00 in the morning!  LOL!  Well today I found myself doing just that. It was my friend Sarah's birthday today and I called her at 630 this morning and sang happy birthday to her on her voice mail.  OMG! I am turning out like my mom :)
The last thing I notice is that my grandma is repeatedly calling all of her kids and grand kids by the wrong names. I have caught my mom doing the same thing from time to time.  Please don't let me start doing that. I am worried that it is inevitable!
But with all the joking aside, my mom is an amazing woman and I would be lucky to be half the woman that she is!  Love ya mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment